Friday, August 30, 2013

Artful Readers Club August - Thud! by Terry Pratchett

This month sees me back in Terry Pratchett's Discworld for the first time in a very long time.  I used to devour these books as soon as they come out, but I kind of got out of the habit and now I am trailing a bit behind.

This title is number 34 in the series (and the 34th that I have read as I've gone through them strictly in order) - and so far he is up to number 40, so I'm not too far behind, I will catch up :)

One of the things that our Terry is incredibly good at, is taking a real world situation, perhaps political or to do with the economy, and handling it satirically but with great sensitivity within the fantastical (but oh so recognisable) realm of the Discworld .....

And this book is no exception - it's essentially about racism/sectarianism - and it hits some home truths along the way - but in the usual charming and witty way, so at no point do you feel preached at

The story in a nutshell - is that the anniversary of some long forgotten battle between the dwarves and trolls is fast approaching - and the city watch are expecting trouble - and this tension is further exacerbated by the murder of a leading dwarf demagogue

Commander Vimes and his motley crew therefore need to solve the murder and keep the peace, all in a day's work for Ankh-Morpork's finest...

The book was very entertaining to read, classic Pratchett (although with slightly fewer footnotes than in the earlier books, which I missed), funny, sad, thought-provoking in equal measures.

As for my artwork this month, I've kind of messed up as this will mean absolutely zilch to anyone who hasn't read the book - but I can't explain it as it relates to a pivotal scene at the end of the story, which I can't tell you as it would be a big spoiler!



So all you need to know is that is supposed to be Sam Vimes, and he REALLY wants to know where his cow is :)  Oh - and those symbols in the background are dwarvish mining signs which crop up frequently throughout the story:


Sorry to be so vague...... you'll just have to go and read the book for it all to make sense :)

See you again next month, when I'll be reviewing Just My Type by Simon Garfield

12 comments:

abby j said...

Sounds like a fun series...your art confirms that!! :)

Julie Lee said...

You are so right about Pratchett: he does look at the real world through the lens of fantasy and he does this with lots of wisdom, I think. It's a long time since I read his Discworld novels and I don't know this one; but your art is terrific and even though I don't know what the incident is it illustrates, I do recall Vimes and it looks great! Julie Ann xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never heard of Pratchett, but I sure like the art. It made me laugh, although I'm not sure that was the original intent. I did enjoy the review, though. I could tell you are really into this series, too.

Joanna said...

I'm not a Pratchett fan but I enjoyed reading your review all the same - and I LOVE your artwork, that shouting face is superb!

I have got Just My Type by Simon Garfield (as yet unread). I'm just finishing off the madness that is Tracey Emin's Strangeland and then I'll read JMT so I can either nod along with your review or robustly object ;)

xx

Gina said...

Not knowing the story doesn't take anything away from your art. I love it! :D XXX

Janet said...

Brilliant piece of artwork! Not a fan of Pratchett myself but I did enjoy reading your review and looking at your art.

Janet xx

Carmen said...

I haven't read any Pratchett but one of my sisters is a huge fan. i keep meaning to but it's the length of the series that puts me off. I played the PC game once - really liked the Death character :)

Loving your art work - made me laugh - 'course he wants to know where his cow is. Who wouldn't.

Jez said...

A terrffic review, so readable and expertly written. I haven't read any Pratchet and it's a bit late in life to start on a 40-book marathon, but I can see the appeal from your review.
Doesn't matter if we haven't read the book, the painting you have done stands as a piece of art by itself. I love it. Even if it happens to be sad in the book, it makes me smile every time I look at it. I hope he finds her.

Jen said...

Super art work, great face and the use of the symbols is clever. Not a Prachett fan so will not be reading the book but good review.
Jen x

SusieJ said...

What fun! DH is a BIG Pratchett fan - I've just pre-ordered the new one for him (comes out next month)..I've read a couple of his shorter books too and watched the "Colour of Magic" and "Going Postal" on TV.
Love the artwork and your review in equal measure.
Hugs xx

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Sounds like a great read. Love your artwork! :)

Darcy Marshall said...

Love the Discworld books, I am waaaaay behind, though we do have this one in the bookcase. love your Vimes...need to know more about his cow now hahaha