Saturday, September 24, 2011

100% Germ Free

Here is my latest entry for the Project Runway CJ.

Ever since fellow CJer Jaine first claimed the "recycled materials" challenge as the inspiration for her journal, I've been waiting for her book to come around, as I knew exactly what I was going to do for this one.

X Ray Spex were one of my favourite bands growing up - my sister bought me the Germ Free Adolescents album when I was 11 years old, and that was the start of my lifelong love affair with punk rock.

So I was saddened earlier this year to hear that the band's lead singer, the wonderfully eccentric Poly Styrene, had lost her battle with cancer :(

This page, then, is my tribute.  For the recycling journal - a portrait of Poly Styrene, made from polystyrene, what else?

I used this wonderful photo as inspiration, from back in the band's 1970s heyday, I hope I captured the jist of it:

Everything on the page is recycled.

The background is made from tissue paper from a pair of Duffs trainers

The image of a vinyl record is from some junk mail from Orange Mobile

The metal in the goggles is aluminium from a drinks can, inside out

And everything else is polystyrene from various bits of food packaging

This turned out pretty much exactly how I have pictured it for the last few months, while waiting for my turn in this book.

I like it when that happens :)




1 comment:

Sid said...

Brilliant transformation Flo !!