Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Art House Co-op Photo Response Project

As you may have noticed, I’m a bit of a fan of Brooklyn’s Art House Co-op – they of The Sketchbook Project and many other community art endeavours.  And I use ‘community’ here in its widest sense as they invite people from all over the world to take part in their projects.  And take part they do, in their thousands!

The 2012 Sketchbook Project tour kicked off this week in New York, and I have been desperately peering at the photos of the shelves and shelves of lovely journals, to see if I can spot mine, but no luck yet.

Let me know if you can spot a fairly thin book with bright pink binding…. 




The tour comes to London in October and I can’t wait to go visit my book :)

I’m not 100% sure yet if I will be taking part in the 2013 Sketchbook Project ( it doesn't look like the tour is coming to Europe next year, so that is a downer :(  )

But in the meantime, I’ve been taking part in a couple of their smaller calls to action.

First I was one of just 200 people lucky enough to grab a space on The Jar Project, which I have already blogged here




And more recently I signed up for the Photo Response Project

This was an interesting one that I couldn’t resist playing along with –

They gave us 5 photos:

 1:

 2:
 3:
 4:
5:













And we had to choose one, and make something prompted or inspired by it in some way – you could use any media – the only proviso being that whatever you produced had to be 6”x4” in size and fairly flat – nothing 3-D

I hummed and harred for ages as none of the photos were screaming out at me.  In the end I decided that I liked photo 2 best, but still had no idea what to actually do with it.  Then my other half started talking about his work colleague going to Liverpool for a few days and ‘where was that beach we went to with all the statues?’ – and cogs started to turn….

So here you go – my postcard sized response to photo #2:



I was thinking along the lines of how, if something bad creeps up on you slowly enough, you either don’t really notice it, or you do but you don’t bother to fix it because you think you have all the time in the world….and then one day you’re engulfed by it, and then it’s too late. I’m depressing you, I know, sorry! :)

Not sure if I like the end result or not but I often feel that way about stuff I make.  Either way it went in the post to America today, so let’s hope it arrives in time for the deadline.  I look forward to seeing what everyone else does prompted by the five photographs.

I’ve also signed up for one other Art House Co-op project, one that involves public art, very much up my street.  Will blog all about it when it’s done….

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

good idea for the card..anthony gormley on crosby beach...when we visited my sons were obsessed with their mouldy "bits"..lol!